Georgian Orthodox Church

Georgian Apostolic Autocephalous Orthodox Church

Coat of Arms

Founder

Apostle Andrew, Saint Nino

Independence

Antioch in 486, Russia in 1917

Recognition

Autocephaly recognised by the Church of Antioch in 486 and recognised by the Russian Orthodox Church in 1943 and the Patriarchate of Constantinople in 1990.

Primate

Archbishop of Mtskheta-Tbilisi and Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia Ilia II

Headquarters

Mtskheta, Georgia

Territory

Georgia, Armenia

Possessions

Great Britain, Western Europe, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Mount Athos, Crete

Language

Georgian

Adherents

3,500,000[1]

Website

http://www.patriarchate.ge/

The Georgian Apostolic Autocephalous Orthodox Church (Georgian: საქართველოს სამოციქულო მართლმადიდებელი ავტოკეფალური ეკლესია, sakartvelos samocikulo martlmadidebeli avtok’epaluri ek’lesia) is one of the world’s most ancient Christian Churches, and tradition traces its origins to the mission of Apostle Andrew in the 1st century. It is an autocephalous (self-headed) part of the Eastern Orthodox Church since 4th century A.D. Georgian Orthodoxy has been a state religion in parts of Georgia since the 4th century, and is the majority religion in that country.

From: Wikipedia



Logos Almanac of the Christian World

Welcome, Guest! (sign in)